Two years ago we developed a partnership between UIC Architecture and UIC LARES / SHPE where they donated funds to buy two desktop 3D printers to use in our lab. In exchange, I facilitate workshops to introduce young engineers of Latin American descent to digital fabrication, 3D printing, 3D modeling and the mechanics of how to use and run the machines.
In this workshop I went over:
- Drafting 1 to 1 scale
- Basics of 3D modeling in Solidworks and Rhino.
- How to apply a picture in the programs and trace from them.
- How to create this into a 3D form.
- How this will be turned into a 3D print.
- We showed them Lynda.com and what videos to watch.